Explore vineyards and locations from the movie “Sideways” for a challenging ride, paired with delightful wine tasting.
Description: A challenging out and back ride from Solvang takes you north to locations used in “Sideways” and offers wine tasting opportunities. Please drink and bike responsibly. Adapted from “Sideways” Bicycle Ride, Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition
Length: Strenuous. 32+ miles. Up to 1000’ elevation change.
Directions: Start from the corner of Highway 246 and Alisal Road in Solvang. There is a bike path adjacent to 246 from Alamo Pintado Road to Refugio Road, where you turn right and proceed 0.9 miles to the entrance of Kalyra Winery. Return back up Refugio Road, pass 246, and continue 2.1 miles to Baseline Road (there is a bike lane for the first mile), turn left on Baseline and proceed one mile to Alamo Pintado (there is a bike lane for its entire stretch). Turn right on Alamo Pintado and follow it 1.2 miles, then turn left on to Grand Avenue and follow it into the town of Los Olivos. Stop at the Los Olivos Café. Continue on Grand Avenue to Highway 154. Carefully cross the highway, follow Foxen Canyon Road north for several miles up over a 300’ rise, and down to Zaca Station Road. Turn left and proceed one-half mile to the entrance of Firestone Winery on the right. Turn around and follow Zaca Station Road to Foxen Canyon Road and turn left. Proceed 1.4 miles, climbing to a point that overlooks the upper Foxen Canyon, a land that has changed little in time. Drop steeply downhill into the valley and Fess Parker Winery’s entrance on the right.
Had enough? Return to Solvang via the same route.
The adventurous can continue another 11 miles and up another pulse-pumping rise and through gorgeous scenery to Foxen Vineyard. Return via the same route, knowing there will be some challenging climbs but exhilarating descents with fine views.
Points of Interest:
- Kalyra: While tasting wine at Kalyra, Jack (Thomas Haden Church) and Miles (PaulGiamatti) meet a flirtatious wine pourer, Stephanie (Sandra Oh), who Jack woos.
- Los Olivos Café: Miles, Jack, Stephanie, and Maya (Virginia Madsen) enjoy dinner and several bottles of wine at the Los Olivos Café.
- Firestone Winery: The foursome sneaks out of a wine lecture to share a romantic walk through the Barrel Room.
- Fess Parker Winery: Called “Frass Canyon” in the film, it is the site of the wine tasting where Miles, despondent after a call from his agent, guzzles the spit bucket.
- Foxen Vineyard: During the split-screen montage, Miles and Jack help themselves to full glasses when the pourer’s back is turned.